How about trying this old Armenian favorite with a slight variation to it? Here is a recipe for bishi, made with deep-fried dough and a generous sprinkling of sugar, the Kardashian sisters absolutely love it.
This recipe is all about getting your oil just at the right temperature, so invest in a deep fat thermometer which you can make use of in future. The ones which clip to the side of the pots are quite useful. Whether you are using a deep pot or deep fryer, be careful not to add too much oil, it should fill only half the pot and not go beyond the fill line of a deep fryer.
Let’s get started. Check your pantry for the following ingredients:
- One packet of dry yeast
- One teaspoon of sugar
- Three-quarters of a cup of lukewarm water
- One cup of flour
- One and a half teaspoon baking powder
- Two eggs
- Four cups of vegetable oil, for frying. Keep it handy in case you need to add more.
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle
Follow these directions, and you are good to go!
- Firstly, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the lukewarm water.
- Then mix the flour, eggs and baking powder in a bowl.
- Stir the yeast into the mixture and make sure that it has blended well.
- Leave the mixture to stand for twenty minutes to rise and thicken.
- In the meantime, add your oil to your cooking device and heat it to three hundred and seventy-five degrees Celsius.
- Once the oil and the dough are ready, test using a small piece of dough.
- Add you balls of dough one tablespoon at a time, carefully, so as not to splash the oil.
- Don’t place too many balls of dough into the oil at once.
- Remove the bishi from the oil and drain them on a paper towel.
- Once the oil has drained, simply sprinkle the bishi with powdered sugar, and they are ready to serve.